Trouble for ex-DGP Saini as 2 former cops turn approvers - ECAS Punjab

Trouble for ex-DGP Saini as 2 former cops turn approvers

Share This

Sanjay Bumbroo
Tribune News Service
Mohali, August 18

In a major setback to former Director General of Police (DGP) Sumedh Singh Saini, a local court today approved the application of two former Chandigarh police officials and co-accused to become approvers in the disappearance case of Balwant Singh Multani.

Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Deepika Singh accepted the application of former Inspector Jagir Singh and Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Kuldeep Singh to become approvers.

Multani abduction case

The two cops, in their statement to the court, claimed that they had witnessed Balwant Singh Multani being tortured under the custody of the then DGP Sumedh Singh Saini (in pic) and his shifting in a vehicle in an unconscious state. They also claimed that later, they were told that Multani had gone missing. The cops were also allegedly asked to declare Multani as missing and absconding, following the orders of Saini, which they did.

The two cops, in their statement to the court, claimed to have been eyewitnesses to the torture meted out to Multani under the custody of the former DGP and his shifting in a vehicle in an unconscious state. They also alleged that later, they were told that Multani went missing. The two cops were also allegedly asked to declare Multani as missing and absconding, following the orders of Saini, which they did.

Now, the Special Investigation Team (SIT) is all set to add Section 302 of the IPC to the FIR registered against the former DGP at Mataur police station in the alleged disappearance of Multani, a former CITCO employee. According to the court orders, the SIT will have to give three-day prior notice to Saini after adding Section 302 to the FIR. The former DGP is out on bail in the case.

The three co-accused former UT cops, then Inspector Jagir Singh, Sub-Inspector Harsahai Sharma and ASI Kuldeep Singh, had filed an application in the court seeking permission to turn approvers and be pardoned. However, the court of the CJM, on August 7, turned down their plea for want of approach from the proper channel, i.e. the SIT, which could make a request to the court for pardon to the accused.

The SIT, with the support of special public prosecutor Sartej Singh Narula and district attorney Sanjiv Batra, had moved an application on behalf of the three accused on August 14, after which the court declared two out of the three as approvers.

Narula said the application was filed to assert that it was necessary to unearth the crime that took place within the four walls of a police station.

He said the approvers were co-accused who had been declared witnesses and were granted pardon under Section 306 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. Now, the proceedings to grant them pardon will be heard on August 22.



from The Tribune https://ift.tt/319qfLl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages